Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Vote

I generally shy away from politics on this blog.

It's not that I don't have political opinions, I do -- quite strong opinions actually -- I just don't usually feel the need to go to battle over them, and sharing your political opinions in social media is a one way ticket to Hyperbole-ville, with a side trip to Ignorant City, via the Inanity Highway.

No thanks.

But this post isn't about politics, it's about government. Self government, to be precise.

I don't always, or even usually, like the direction that this country is headed, but I've come to one inescapable conclusion -- it's our fault. And that's a good thing.

It's a good thing because it means that the government is not Them...it's still Us, and if it's still Us, then we can still do something about it.

In the great American experiment in self government, the greatest gift bequeathed to us by the architects of our government is not the Declaration of Independence -- that was just a letter of intention. It's not the Bill of Rights or the Constitution -- they can be altered. It's not the two party political system...it's just not, and if I go any further with that explanation, I'll probably burst a blood vessel.

The greatest gift to a free people is the right to vote for their own government. Self determination is the most fundamental human aspiration.

You may not like where this country is, or where it's headed -- I know I don't -- but, it's still within our grasp, to correct the course.

We're still the City on the Hill.

We're still the last best hope for mankind.

As long as we have the vote, and exercise it.

Tonight, I'm thankful for the vote.

No comments: