Thursday, July 1, 2010

Photostory Friday: 365 Week 26

365
Hosted by Chris







PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily


Day 175


June 25: These are the shots I miss taking, as a wedding photographer.

When you are the principal photographer at a wedding, you have a certain responsibility to capture certain images. And I love beautiful pictures of brides and grooms, and their most beautiful of days. But shots like this picture are the ones that the artist in me longs to take -- and I find myself with less time to try and capture them.

I find them very evocative and meaningful.

The little things that happen unexpectedly on a wedding day, like a forgotten corsage or a missing earring, are like a microcosm of the life these two are about to embark on -- full of trials and missteps, but also opportunities to be the answer to each other's needs.

I just love that.


Day 176


June 26: When this project is all done, I'm going to post all the pictures that I took this year, from this point of view.


Day 177


June 27: Passing it on.

Before you become a parent, you think that life as a parent will be full of teaching opportunities, but the truth is, parenthood is mostly about surviving another day. Most of the teaching we do is by example.

But, I was pleasantly surprised when my son asked if I would teach him how to play "Over the Rainbow" on my ukulele. Sometimes it comes as a shock to find that our children have an aptitude for something. Matt picked up the chords rather quickly, and he and I sat out on the porch swing and played (and sang -- but only with each other) a little duet.

I'm not handy. I don't do woodwork. I can't fix anything. ANYTHING. But this was one of those rare moments where I actually felt that I had something to teach my child.


Day 178


June 28: We saw Toy Story 3 tonight, and I loved it. But I didn't cry at the end.

...I just had something in my eye, Okay?...

The touching ending of the movie made me think of the toys of my own childhood. Nearly all of them were Star Wars related -- and nearly all of them are gone (most were destroyed by my own hand, with a golf club), but these three remain.

They are ragged -- C3PO is nearly silver now, Han Solo was buried in my front yard for ten years, and got his face caught in the lawn mower, and Luke Skywalker's  a little stiff in the joints -- but they are original. Han Solo and C3PO are from the original toy line, in 1977, and Luke Skywalker is from 1980.

But, they are old, and dear friends.


Day 179


June 29: This is my nephew Cooper. He's two and a half, and visiting from Germany. He was over having a water fight with the other kids on Tuesday night, but there was a slight problem...

Cooper is kind of tiny, and he doesn't have the strength to squirt the gun, unless he stands directly over it, and pushes down with all his weight (such as it is), which, as you may imagine, results in Cooper mostly shooting himself in the face.

And then exclaiming "Oh! I gotted mysewf in my own face again!"


Day 180


June 30: Yeah, that's the high dive.

And yeah, that man can displace some water.


Day 181


July 1: And finally this week, I have another in the series I like to call:

"Crap that I can shoot on Thursday afternoon as I'm walking in the front door, so I can get this post up before midnight."

It's my new, giant Sharpie marker.

I could paint the house with this thing.

17 comments:

Emmy said...

My flower shot outside today was an oh shoot I need a picture shot. But the flowers really are pretty.

My family saw Toy Story 3.. I missed it sigh.

And that picture of your son is beautiful, espeically with the story that goes with it. So perfect.

latree said...

i love your quote about parenthood.
and the pictures, off course, as always

Raise Them Up said...

Your son with the guitar--that's a beautiful picture! I love the lighting! Really cool.

We cried at the end of Toy Story. (Don't tell my husband I'm blabbing that.)

But we were all done by the time the boy's favorite quote of the movie played out..."I told you kids to stay out of my butt!"

That picture outide the car has me intrigued.

Corey~living and loving said...

Okay the Ukulele shot is amazing. seriously...perfect! :)

and I bawled at Toy Story 3. LOL

Amy said...

June 27th is so beautiful. The story to go with it is wonderful and what a memory you will have whenever you look at that picture.

cat said...

That is why I love it when family ask me to take pictures at their weddings _ I can capture those extra little moments.

And I am a Star Wars fan too! Stunning that you have those.

Fav pciture - 177!

Indrani said...

Yes, little moments like 175 are precious and evocative. I understand what you mean. Impressive, your toy collection, they are in good condition.

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who had "something in their eye" at the end of Toy Story 3. My husband was making fun of me a wee bit. :)

The wedding & ukelele shots/captions - very insightful. You remind me of my brother in the way you see things. He had those VERY same Star Wars figures, messes around on the guitar, and tries different perspectives with his photos - very artistic. I bet you guys would get along well.

Emily said...

I'm sure you used a whole box of kleenex at Toy Story! ;)

Really, you can't fix anything?

I like what you said about parenthood...I always plan things I want to teach my kids and at the end of the day, I realized I spent the whole day just surviving it and didn't actually have time to teach them! ;)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I love the nephew shooting himself in the face! :)
Such a great moment for the bride and groom. Having only done the one wedding, I can understand the frustration of not getting the shots you want.... and my biggest problem were all the family butting into take their photos! Glad that you captured this moment.

Unknown said...

I love the sharpie.

I am sad you don't get to shoot the kinds of pictures you love any more. I hope you can do that again soon.

{krista} said...

Sometimes, your point of view pictures scare me. How do you do that? WHY do you do that? I couldn't imagine doing that. LOL And that is a wedding shot that is rarely captured. I love it.

Nicole said...

I LOVE that picture of your son. That will be a keeper for years to come. I am always looking for a way to teach my children. Even if it's about a bug we saw or a historical fact.

My oldest son however keeps asking to use my camera and take pictures.....

Have a wonderful Holiday weekend!

Unknown said...

You are too funny! So I'm not the only one who has to sometimes search for a subject for the day? I love that you got to teach your son something and felt useful for a while, lol. :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Cecily R said...

I love love love Day 176. The picture and the sentiments.

I love that Cooper. He's just squeezy.

My step mom and I were talking about Toy Story 3 and her first reaction was to think about all her toys that she had abandoned. Those movies do bring things to life. :)

The Thursday Crap theme is RAD. Run with it.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That wedding shot does speak wonders!

Hmmm..what to teach my kids. Shoot. They will end up being big dorks.

Your sharpie looks like heaven!

Honey Mommy said...

If you put all of your "car shots" together I may have to avert my eyes!

I remember my brother's Star Wars toys. He had an AT-AT that I remember him blowing up (just like in the movie).