Sunday, December 14, 2008

It wouldn't be Christmas without...

Christmas is a time of thoughtful reflection. So, this year I want you to take some time and think about what makes Christmas meaningful in your lives. Here are a few of my own thoughts to get you started:




I love to read the Christmas story in the New Testament, but my favorite way to experience the words of the second chapter of Luke, is in the Charlie Brown Christmas special, when Linus takes the stage, to help Charlie Brown
 understand what Christmas is all about. 




I have to read "A Christmas Carol," by Charles Dickens, at least once each season. Usually three or four times. There is so much truth in this story, and do you want to know the greatest truth of all? Ebenezer Scrooge is me, and probably you too. The movie versions are (mostly) great, but you are missing much of the beauty of the story, if you don't read Dickens' own words. 

I love the first time that we turn off all of the lights in the house, and light up the Christmas tree. 




Ralphie's quest for "a Red Ryder, 200 shot, range model, air rifle, with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time," reminds me of my own childhood obsessions (Atari, anyone?), and leg lamps have spawned a minor cottage industry for me at Christmas time. 

I think about great food. 

I think about the warmth of a family party on Christmas Eve. 

I think about the joyful, sugar induced, hysterical chaos and anticipation of the Night before Christmas. 

I think of the wonder of that most magical of mornings.

I think how grateful I am that Christmas comes only once a year. 

Then, in the next moment, I wish it could be Christmas everyday. 

I think about how Christmas with my family becomes more meaningful and tender every year. 




I think about a humble stable in Bethlehem, where shone an Everlasting Light, which made all the rest of this possible. 

Your turn.


p.s. Keep checking back, I've got all kinds of things to say about Christmas. And I have absolutely nothing better I could be doing. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love knowing people who love Christmas just as I do. It's the most magical time of the year. When even an adult can freely let her inner child out to play. I shall return!

PS...I so love "A Christmas Story"!

Anonymous said...

Linus's words are some of my favorite as well. I just love Charlie Brown's Christmas. :)

Anonymous said...

oooohhh yes.

You nailed it!!!

((Charlie Brown comes around with his great pumkin during october at our house too!!))

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

Absolutely beautiful as always Chris! I am always in awe at your entries.

Sharon said...

I beg to differ. You have many other, probably more important things, you could be doing. I could make you a list, if you like! I have to admit, though, I love to read your words too, just like all your loyal harem members - I mean followers. Love you.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Deep thoughts Chris, and very touching. Hubby loves to listen to Charlie Brown Christmas Music while we trim the tree and so with that we have made watching the show a tradition as well. Hubby also LOVES A Christmas Story. I however, have never seen it. LOL!

You better hurry up and finish this thought process before Sharon passes a list of her own over to you. HAhaha!

Aaron said...

You'll shoot your eye out.

Pam Emmons said...

I am aching to watch A Christmas Story. I think that will be our after-kids-are-asleep movie on Christmas eve.

Cajoh said...

I always vow to learn twas the night before Christmas and recite it, but I'm always too busy to find the time to memorize.

Susan said...

Great post. This is my favorite time of year and like you I sometimes wish it could be Christmas everyday, but on the other hand I am so glad it only comes once a year because that makes it so much more special.
Looking forward to my yearly A Christmas Story viewing on Christmas Eve!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I LOVE ME SOME RALPHIE.

That movie is the classic of classics!