Thursday, November 27, 2008

Photostory Friday: It's been a long time since I did the stroll...

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek



Emma June has agreed today to give us an unprecedented look, into the bedroom, of a typical American five old girl.



Emma's room is a room of wonder -- as in, I wonder if there is a bed under all of that crap, or I wonder if I dare open the closet door, or I wonder what that smell is, or I wonder...well, you get the idea.


So, here's a rundown of just some of the things you might encounter, on a trip to Emma's bedroom:


The Secret Room. This is a small room, built under the stairs. It was the selling point of the house, as far as Emma was concerned. Fortunately, the rest of us liked the house too, because Emma was moving in, whether we came along or not. The room is ideal for reading, coloring, napping, even Dads can go in (as long as he doesn't stupidly sit up too quickly). In a pinch, the room is a great place to stash all of your junk, when you are told to clean your room.


The Princess Poster. The equivalent of keeping statues of various saints on your fireplace mantle. Emma is heavily influenced by the Disney Princesses. One of my favorite moments from our trip to Disneyland in May, was standing in line with Emma to meet Ariel, the Little Mermaid. Wonder in the eyes of a child is cliche. It's also true.



Closet doors. Closed. The closet doors remain closed most of the time, because the closet is an ideal place to stash everything, when you are told to clean your room. Emma learned this valuable tip from her siblings. Isn't it great when the kids share?



Mouse Ears. Two sets -- one classic, one a modern classic. Emma likes the "Minnie" ears the best "because, Minnie's a girl! Duh, Dad!"




The scarred old hand-me-down dresser. So many moves. So many memories. So many empty drawers. Did I mention that all of the clothes are on the floor of the closet -- the one with the closed doors?



The Wizard of Oz. I believe it is a law -- maybe even a commandment -- that all five year old, American girls, must have a shrine, somewhere in their room, to the Wizard of Oz. Emma has had this little set for three years -- which amounts to an epoch in the annals of kid toydom. It's, hands down, the best toy we have ever gotten for her. Obviously, Dorothy has been well loved.



Laundry hamper. Empty. See previous entries on Secret Room, the Closet, and the Dresser.





Ruby Slippers. Do you ever find yourself in a small house, with not enough storage space, and a garage still full of boxes from the move (which has nothing to do with the amount of time I spend on this blog), and yet, you hold on to things for, simply, sentimental reasons? Emma has had these "Ruby Slippers" for two years, and almost can't fit her feet into them anymore. But they have been such a source of wonder and joy for her, that I can't get rid of them. What kind of Dad would throw out his daughter's first pair of Ruby Slippers?


And finally, the pinnacle, the ultimate, the one thing that all five year old girls cannot live without. The piece de resistance....
The Led Zeppelin Poster. The previous owners left this behind, and since they left it in "Emma's room," she claimed it. And it has hung on her door ever since. She thinks the girl in the upper left hand corner is very pretty. That's Robert Plant. I don't have the heart to tell her.


So that's pretty typical, right?


I hope this has been enlightening for everyone. I've learned that maybe I should be going down to Emma's room, a little more often.

30 comments:

Honey Mommy said...

What a fun tour!

My little guy would LOVE the little room under the stairs. What a fun place to go.

Thanks for a look at the girly side of things! I have two boys, so I don't get to see that very often.

Anonymous said...

Oh the secret room is so neat! Any kid would just love that! Funny how much "hair" is missing from Dorothy. Well loved indeed. Love her room though. Great post.

Michelle said...

Christmas list: Ruby Slippers for 5 year old daughter!

MomOf4 said...

What a great room! I would have given anything to have ruby slippers when I was 5! Beautiful post, as always! :)

A Crafty Mom said...

That is GREAT!! Very cool - great pictures, and I'm totally loving the ruby slippers!

Robyn said...

I can see a lot of what my daughters room will look like, except for the secret room. I wish I could bottle what ever it is that the Disney Princesses have to mesmerize little girls.

tiarastantrums said...

adorable - you are much more laid back than I - my 5 year old daughter is not allowed to touch the clothes hanging in her closet - or mess up her dresser drawers! (I'm major OCD on laundry he he he) Those slippers look pretty 'new' for being two years old - she must be light on her toes - my DD's are beat to nothing -as in - no sparkle left! Not even enough to hand down to baby sister!
Secret room is awesome!

Kacey said...

What a great post. I love the Led Zepplin poster! Classic! I just bought Ruby Jane a pair of hot pink glittery shoes so I hope they become a source of wonder for her. Oh and so jealous of the secret room. I need that!

scrappysue said...

don't EVER throw out the ruby slippers!!! cool post and very typical. girls are the same the world over.

the word vertification says 'dendlegg' hehe

Jessica said...

Too sweet! Love the pictures. The Led Zeppelin poster cracks me up.

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

Ooo I feel lucky to have taken the tour :D Very very nice!!

Cecily R said...

Woah. That could be Gracie's room! She even had the same poster for a few years (the princess one, not the Zepplin one). It sort of got left at the old house and I sort of got in a lot of trouble for it...

I know there are little girls out there who actually put their clothes away rather than dumping them in piles in secret places, but clearly they don't live in our houses.

LOVED the tour!

Cecily R said...

P.S. In answer to your Utes win question; Jon has worn something red everyday for the last week. Right now, at this very moment he's wearing a Utes polo AND a Utes hat. Dork.

Anonymous said...

the Led Zeppelin poster.

umm.

yeah.

typical;-)

Shellie said...

That is hilarious. If only we had doors on our closets. Love the posters, too. DO NOT throw away the ruby slippers. EVER.

Kellan said...

I am laughing out loud at that poster - that was hysterical! My twins are laying on my bed reading and I have tears running down my face - "What's the matter, Mom?" they keep asking me. "Can't talk," *still laughing*!!! Thanks for the laugh and ... I loved the rest of the post too - all those special Emma/little girl things. YES - ruby slippers - I know them well!

Have a good weekend - Kellan

Unknown said...

I want to be Emma! Loved the tour!

Unknown said...

I suppose Robert Plant sort of does look like a girl in that photo. How funny.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

What a great little room!! What a sweet post about your daughter. I love that she loves that Led Zepplin poster!!

Joyce said...

What a wonderful room for your daughter. I can see that the secret room would be a selling point for Emma; it's such a special, cozy place, all her own. :)

Thanks for stopping by my Photostory, too.

Maggie May said...

I enjoyed that little tour! Love the mini room under the stairs.

Susie said...

I am enlightened and can't WAIT for Sophie to turn into that 5 year old-you make it sound like so much fun!
Keep the ruby slippers FOREVER--wait until Emma has her own little one; and I with Emma, the girl in the poster is pretty--even with Robert Plant's hair!
Oh, and where in the world can I find that Wizard of OZ toy? I must have it.

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely post and brought memories flooding back of the bedrooms of two girls [all grown up now]
Yes, the secret room was a find, I would love to have a snooze in there.

Thank you for the tour.

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

Too adorable!
I loved the story but even better I adore the ruby slippers, Im going to have to get my Princess those!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a fun trip around a five year old's room. I can only wait until we get there.

Straight to Your Hart said...

Love the insight to her room!! Ya know.. Robert Plant does look a little feminine..better hair for sure!!

I love the Wizard of Oz collection and the use it has received. There is no place like home for Emma!!

JenEverAfter said...

Well, now I know what to look forward to! I still have three years to go - but we've already got those ruby slippers! I'm afraid my little one may miss out on Zepplin. At least for a little while yet! (Can I just add that the "word verification" blogger wants me to type is "pousi." Should I be offended???) :D

Jenners said...

Stopped by to thank you for visiting my blog. I just LOVED the trip through Emma's room! I would have loved a secret room when I was a kid. I also had red shoes that my dad said I would wear every day, with every outfit .. .they weren't as pretty though. Love that she's learning to be a lazy housekeeper like myself so early in life (throw it in a closet/room and shut the door) and most of all, I love the Led Zeppelin poster and the pretty girl named Robert! I'll be adding you to my blogroll. So Funny!!!!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Brilliant. And she's right, robert plant did make a very pretty woman. (don't let my husband read this)

Lindsay said...

That was awesome.....only you forgot to take a shot of UNDER her bed....my 3 yo and found that that is a wonderful place to keep things away from her brother.....oh brother.