Wednesday, June 10, 2009

365: Week 23


Day 155

June 4: Looking closer. 

Attempting to take a picture every day for an entire year, does a few things to you. At least six out of every  seven days, you question your sanity -- not to mention commitment, but also it causes you to look at your world differently. 

The majority of the photos that I have taken so far this year have been at one of two locations: work and home. I've shot flowers and sunrises and clouds -- all the pretty stuff. Lately I've found myself taking a closer look at the weeds.  

I don't know what this is, but it sure is deadly looking. 


Day 156

June 5: Friday night sunset in the back yard. We have a great view to the west -- except for the power lines. I did everything I could to try to shoot around the power pole. Finally I accepted defeat.


Day 157

June 6: Yes. I took a picture of the television screen. 

I'd like to say that the reason was because I was watching a Land of the Lost marathon, and I started thinking about Sid and Marty Krofft, and got all nostalgic for the campy shows they produced that define so many of the Saturday mornings of my very early life. 

All of that is true.

But I took the picture because, while watching the Land of the Lost marathon, I lost all track of time, and it was 11:55 pm before I realized that I hadn't taken a photograph for the day yet. 


Day 158

June 7: My favorite hat. 

Everybody wants to have a little Irish in them. And I do -- very little (one little branch of the family tree). But Irish is Irish!

I'm not exactly sure what I've gotten from my Irish heritage -- not my looks, or my name. I don't drink or dance.

But I DO love potatoes!


Day 159

June 8: The Skyscraper. 

This is the Ferris Wheel at our local amusement park -- Lagoon. 

Lagoon is a decent enough park, and it's only about a mile and a half from our house. We've gotten season passes for the last six years.

Monday we went for the first time since coming back from Disneyland. Honestly, it was a bit of a letdown, but if you take Lagoon a couple of hours a week, it's not a bad way to pass the summer. 

Oh, and I made myself sick, on the Merry-Go-Round, of all things.


Day 160

June 9: have a little ice cream with your raspberries. 

I love vanilla ice cream with raspberries -- frozen or fresh. 

Do you want to know the truth behind this picture? It's another 11:55 pm shot. 

See, we've been playing Lego Indiana Jones on the Wii, and we keep finding all these new boards, and I lose track of time, and I was eating a giant bowl of ice cream at almost midnight, and that was the most interesting thing I could see around me without getting off the couch...


Day 161

June 10: I write. 

I mean, you know I write (you're reading my blog), but I also like to write. The tactile function of placing pen on paper. I carry a pen with me everywhere. 

EVERYWHERE.

A Parker Jotter. With gel ink. 

I have carried some version of this pen with me for nearly eighteen years.

Have it with me all day long. I keep it in a pocket in my pajamas (hey, you never know -- I'm also a "list" guy). 

If it was waterproof, I'd take it in the shower. Linus Van Pelt and his security blanket have nothing on me and my Parker. 

13 comments:

Terri said...

What, no Emma photos this week?? Is she out of town?? I do like your self portrait, it's very original. And I love vanilla ice cream and berries. The raspberries will be ripe in another couple weeks....

Anonymous said...

Even if they are 11:55 shots your photos are pleasing to the eye. That ice cream had me licking my lips. :)

Michelle said...

I couldn't agree more with you about this 365 project. I've been so busy that sometimes having to remember to take a picture has been a pain in my side (kind of like that weed might be).

But I carry on and I'm glad that I do because more often than not it is enjoyable.

Had to laugh about the Land of the Lost marathon, because I stumbled across that same channel and stopped to watch. Brought back great Saturday morning cartoon memories...but I could only handle about 15 minutes before I moved on.

Your self portraits are fast becoming my favorite shots. You are great at making something so simple very interesting. :)

Keep on keeping on!

Pam Emmons said...

How many times did you have to write "self portrait" to get that shot?

Oh, and for all those reading this, he does carry a pen everywhere. And if he loses, it's almost the end of the world.

That said, I want some of that ice cream when I get there in a few weeks. It's looks mucho yummy.

Unknown said...

magnificent sunset photo!!!!
As for the weed, they are nothing more that a misplaced plant!
Nicely done!
~AM

Mom24 said...

Great new header. I love that shot.

I laughed about your Disney Land letdown. The year after we went to Disney World's Animal Kingdom, the zoo just was not the same anymore.

kayerj said...

I carry a parker pen too. I've had the same pen since 1980. Love the raspberries and ice-cream :)

Anonymous said...

You have very good penmanship for being male.

The ice cream and raspberries looks really good. Thanks for the craving. ;)

Aaron said...

You have a fantastic ability for tenacity....me not so much. I am working to be better. However, you and your pen....I think you need counseling.

Carebear said...

Love that ferris wheel shot. And the frozen raspberries. And such nice handwriting. Who doesn't love a good pen, eh? I hate to write because my handwriting is ugly, and i press really hard so it hurts my hand quickly. But I love to read on paper. My friends are all investing in these Kindle devices so they can read their books electronically. What?!?! Nonsense. There is nothing like the feel and sound and smell of a printed text!

Corey~living and loving said...

okay dude...you have some knock ones here. first off...love your banner shot. Then the sunset (love that you made the power pole work for you), and the ferris wheel. ROCKIN!

oh and I totally need some vanilla ice cream and raspberries...sigh...I have none. no fair.

imbeingheldhostage said...

and you write nicely and you wrote on my birthday. I love that you couldn't be bothered to get off the sofa to take a picture and that you;re playing the wii.
Did I tell you I'm coming home in 2010?

Susan said...

Great photos. Love the macro shot of the flower and the ferris wheel.
I also love that you have started explaining each shot a little more. You have such a way with words that it often makes the shot.