Wednesday, February 4, 2009

An update and 365 Week: 5

A quick update: 

We saw the surgeon today, and surgery is scheduled for February 19. The surgeon really put our minds at ease. It's always great to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about. He seems to believe that Sharon can come through the surgery and the treatment in pretty good shape, with minimal to zero changes to her quality and longevity of life. 

I believe, with all my heart, that this is an answer to prayers -- so many prayers,  from so many places. That kind of faith has real power. And for that, I owe each of you so much. Our lives were rocked with the diagnosis of cancer, and now our lives have been touched, and changed forever by the generosity and kindness of all of you. 

You have my eternal gratitude. 


365: Week 5

Day 29

January 29: The Big Red Dog. No this isn't Clifford. He (she? I've never been good with stuffed dog anatomy) is my wife's companion dog, to get her through the tough times ahead. A gift from her mother (we can't have real dogs). 


Day 30

January 30: She's only 5. At five I could barely ANSWER a phone. Actually, when I was five, we were talking about the far distant future when we would have phones like the one in Emma's hands. No it's not her phone. Geez, give me a little credit. 


Day 31

January 31: I went to the wild bird refuge, and all I got was this stupid seagull! Actually, we saw some hawks and some falcons, and a huge mass in a far away tree that had to be an eagle...but they're all so dang fast or far away. This is a CALIFORNIA gull by the way. It's the UTAH state bird. Go figure. You eat a few crickets and save my Mormon ancestors from starvation, and they make you the State bird.


Day 32
 
February 1: Did I mention that she is only 5? Emma was making her mother "beautiful," and saved a little for herself. I was going to take a picture of my cheek, after they both kissed me -- but they didn't look so much like sexy lips as a gaping wound on my face. Notice Emma got as much lipstick on the end of her nose as she did on her lips. 


Day 33

February 2: You can NOT infer things to your children. "Matt, do not play in the snow or puddles with your tennis shoes on. I don't want them to get wet."

Notice, there is no explicit mention of muddy bogs. He actually lost this shoe, had to come home and get his snow boots on, and go back to extract it from the mire. 


Day 34

February 3: The beatings will continue until morale improves. I don't work at a prison, or a jail. I work at a moving company. A while back we had some stuff stolen from vehicles in the parking lot. My employer put up a fence. And then added barbed wire. It does NO good. Why? Because the fence is only across the drive ways. We still get vehicles stolen from time to time -- they just drive across the grass. All but the world's DUMBEST criminals can just walk around the fence. 

The barbed wire just makes it feel a little more like prison for those of us that work there.


Day 35
 
February 4: I come in peace. 

I was wandering around my front yard looking for a picture to take, so I could post this. 

Hey, I never said they would all be great.

Come back next week, same bat time, same bat channel!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're amazing!!!!

you're shooting like a pro my man! You makes my pics look so drab.

Good job!

(((the lipstick pic is hilarious)))

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

I seriously love your kids lol. The lipstick picture is priceless. And I can totally relate to your son being stuck in the bog. It happened to me but with snow. I was so light, I didn't really sink in the snow but at one point, I sunk, and sunk really low. My parents had to come dig me out!!! Crazy. And I've lost boots in bogs too lol.

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

Oh! And I am sooooooo happy that the surgery has been scheduled for your wife and that he was able to really discuss it all with you guys and give you some peace of mind!

Lindsay said...

Seriously - that is the best news I've heard all day!!! When life (or blogs, perhaps) have been surrounding me with cancer, cancer, cancer - one after the other - kids through adults - THIS news was awesome to read.

I'll be praying for the up-coming surgery.

Sticky said...

So happy for your news! And really glad you feel good about the doctor. That helps so much.

Love, Love your pictures!

Michelle said...

I'm glad you two got some good news. Yeah!

Love the photo's this week! I'm starting to find that the project is weighing me down......but I trudge on! :)

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

What WONDERFUL news...

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

What WONDERFUL news...

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

I am so happy to hear such fabulous news about your wife!!! Yay!

Your photos are genius, and your daughter is adorable. :)

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Great week in photos! I love the makeup shot, it's almost as eerie as it is beautiful!

SO GLAD for the comforting news you received. I'll will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Michelle said...

That is great that your wife has her surgery scheduled. I hope all goes well and she recovers quickly.

Love all the pictures. I love technology. But what I hate is when your 6 year old son knows more about your cell phone then you do.

Mom said...

Ha, that is exactly why I won't let my 5 y/o get her hands on our Treos...I'm afraid she would figure it out & try to take it over.
Love the lipstick - BTDT lol

So very glad to hear the doc was able to put you at ease. Best wishes to you & yours!

Cajoh said...

The gull reminds me of when my wife and I went to Mackinac for our honeymoon and I nearly got mauled by the gulls trying to get at my shrimp. Every time we see gulls we have to exclaim "hey, where's the shrimp"!!

Anonymous said...

When I need technical help with any modern instrument I call on the kids. When I bought a new camera I sought out the youngest chap in the shop to explain it to me. I think he was twelve.

So loved your pics and am relieved to hear your latest update. Loving thoughts and hugs.

tammi said...

Ah, the wonders of the blogosphere never cease, do they? The amazing and incredibly far reaches of prayer. To know that someone living 3000 miles away, whom I've never even met, is praying for ME just completely blows me away. It's awesome and humbling all at the same time. I'm so thankful the meeting with the surgeon went well.

Love the pictures and the narrative! The lipstick is too funny.

Jenners said...

I'm so glad to hear that you had some positive news. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed!