Sunday, February 1, 2009

Kindness on top of kindness

Alexandria, over at I'm the Mom, has kindly bestowed an honor upon me. The Blog Star Award. 


I became acquainted with Alexandria through the same place I've met so many of you -- Photostory Friday. And now I'm honored to call her a friend. She is a devoted, and obviously loving, mother to her two beautiful children, as well as wife to the man she calls Duckman (I've never figured out where that comes from, by the way...). And she's VERY kind -- as all Canadians are! And I am truly flattered by the meaning behind the award. 

But more than that, Alexandria has been so supportive and kind -- as have so many of the rest of you -- as my family has begun this journey into the unknown, this past week. And knowing that you are out there, thinking and praying for my wife, and our little family, does so much more for us than I can express. 

Thank you, Alex. 

An update: we saw the oncologist Friday, and now we are waiting to hear from the surgeon's office. Likely we'll schedule surgery for removing the tumor some time in the next week or so. After that, Sharon will probably be on a medication called Gleevec for the next couple of years. It is something of  a wonder drug, and is helping to make great strides in the treatment of GIST.  There are some moderately uncomfortable side effects (possible rashes, some cramping and swelling etc...), but nothing like chemotherapy or radiation. So we're grateful for that. Once they get the tumor out, they'll be better able to determine the likelihood of recurrence. 

So we move forward. Cautiously optimistic. 


19 comments:

Kristin said...

Congrats on the award. You remain in our prayers.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Congrats on such a pretty award!

I am so glad you have a plan in motion. It usually makes me feel more at ease when I can look forward to a plan...and an end.

Anonymous said...

Yay For the award!
I am still praying and believing for you and your family.

Warm Hugs

Kimber B Photography said...

Congratulations on the award. Will continue praying.

Anonymous said...

Every day a little stronger as the love and caring of your blogger friends surround you.

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

Aww you're a sweetie-pie. I was blushing lol.

I'm so glad there is a plan in place for the surgery and medication. It must be nice to know the stages things are going to happen in, providing all goes as well as possible. Crappy side effects though ... but you're right; nothing compared to chemo and radiation. I hope it doesn't cause too many side effects for Sharon.

I'm praying like crazy here for Sharon; praying the tumor is easily removed and the chances of recurrence is nonexistant.

Lots of hugs :-)

tammi said...

Oh, Chris, I just started following your blog and this came as a shock ~ even though your PSF post had made me wonder.

I scrolled down and read through your last several posts and you can count on my prayers as well.

Surrounding you right now...

Melissa said...

Chris- my husband started taking Gleevec about a month ago (he has Chronic Mylegenous Leukemia) and it truly IS a wonder drug!! After 10 days on it, they re-checked his blood and it was alomst back to normal. He will probably have to be on it the rest of his life, but all I know is it is saving his life and that makes it a wonder drug to me!!
He does have some minor side effects with it, like very achey joints/bones and muscle cramps; but we've heard that once his body gets used to it, then those side effects will go away!!

I will continue to pray for you all and will pray specifically for her as she starts the new medicine!!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Chris, I hope the treatment works well for your wife - it sounds so promising. I continue to keep your family in my thoughts.

Michelle said...

That is a great award!

I just found your blog last week through PSF and I'm so sorry to hear about your trial. I know I don't know you, except for in blog land, but I will be praying for you and your family.

Cajoh said...

Congratulations on your award.

So glad that things are at least defined so you know what to face. I like the fact your wife does not have to go through chemotherapy or radiation treatment. Wishing you all the best.

Straight to Your Hart said...

Optimistic is a Hopefull word...so good to see it!! Many hugs and continued prayers. So grateful to hear answers are coming...God Bless!

Honey Mommy said...

What a lovely award! You deserve it. your last post was wonderful. I hope that your wife's treatment goes well and she returns to health soon!

Momisodes said...

Congrats on the award.

I'm so sorry I had no idea. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Aly @ Lip Zip said...

Congratulations on your award.

I will be looking for your update on Sharon. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kacey said...

Congrats on yoru awards - you certainly deserve it.

I am sorry to hear you & your sweet family are going through an unsettling time. I will pray, pray, pray for you and your family.

{{HUGS}}

Kacey said...

P.S. I owe you a BIG thank you! Through your blog I met Tabitha, a lovely lady I am lucky to call my new friend. THANK YOU!

imbeingheldhostage said...

congrats on your well deserved award. Good thoughts to Sharon (the real one). You're all still in our prayers!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

You are in my prayers. Hang in there...all of you and let us know how things go.