Sunday, March 22, 2009

Facebook was invented for days like this...

When Sharon was diagnosed with cancer two months ago, everything changed.

The way I looked at the world.

The way I thought.

My priorities.

I realized that the list of things in this world that truly make me happy is a rather small list. And high on that list are my friends. I've always made friends easily, but I haven't kept up with many of the friends that I once knew. Then along came Facebook, and suddenly, at my fingertips, were many of the people I once knew. Many people I thought I might never see again. Which brings me to yesterday...

Through the magic of Facebook, (and texting, and phone calls and every other form of communication we couldn't have imagined eighteen years ago) I had a wonderful afternoon, with some dear and long lost friends. Face to face.

As it should be.

 Occasionally, you will find someone who can't let go of high school. It was the greatest time of their lives.

If those three years were the best of your life, you need to get out more -- It's a big, beautiful world out there. But high school is an intense social experience, and we forge relationships that can endure. Yesterday six old friends gathered in a park to reminisce, to talk of life and love, of heartache and disappointment, of memories and blessings and of the hand life had dealt each of us.

One is my best friend whom I have spoken with nearly everyday of my life. One I hadn't seen in nearly twelve years, the others it had been almost eighteen. We're all in our mid-thirties now -- that was a lifetime ago. 


Two of us were once a couple, but no one is married to anyone else. Two of us are twins -- who are actually triplets, one of whom has twins of her own. Two of us live in the middle of nowhere -- one in Utah, one in Arizona. Four of us have lost our fathers. We have eighteen children between us -- one has seven, one has no children. One has lived a few miles from me for nearly thirteen years, and I had no idea. We have all been married, but two are no longer. Life has not been easy for anyone, but yesterday I sensed happiness in each of us.

For that I am grateful. 
 
A whole bunch of Balls.





Aaron wanted to know what the macro setting on my camera does. It takes very close up pictures of your nose. I edited out the big black hair.

You're welcome. 


Apparently the maturity level just got to be too much for Dave!




If you look in  the background, you'll notice that the kids are in the process of hi-jacking some poor woman's kite.


The toes of a very hungry and very tired three year old. 

Which of these two is not like the other...

Reminiscing on going to the Homecoming Dance with my best friend's girlfriend, so he could go with someone else. All according to his plan...I had a great time Ellen!


I realized at this point what the kids were doing with the kite. 

Okay, Dave isn't the only one with maturity issues...


We hugged, and ate and talked of the roads we have travelled and the joy of seeing each other again. 

We laughed.

A lot. 

Ellen, Beki, Esther, Dave and Aaron...thank you for a wonderful afternoon. Let's not wait another eighteen years before we do it again. 

21 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like a great day indeed!
Facebook is an amazing and addictive tool of communication. Like you I have connected with so many people that I haven't seen or talked to in many years.
Glad you had a great time with old friends. We all need that in our lives!

Corey~living and loving said...

GReat post....of an awesome day. I can feel your joy. How wonderful. :) I am so happy for you and your friends. what fun to get together again.

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

What a beautiful day!! I'm so glad you were able to reconnect with people who are such good friends. Facebook has been a blessing to many people.

I've been able to reconnect with family members and old friends through there. It's wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this. The kids hijacking the kite was hilarious!

Pam Emmons said...

How fun! I was waiting for some immature pictures of Aaron, too.
I have lots of awesome friends, and we try to do this whenever we can. The girls from WI are all getting together in a month for another reunion, and I can't wait. Isn't facebook awesome. A timewaster, but fun.

Cecily R said...

That is RAD. I'm jealous.

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Facebook has been good to re-connect with lost friends. I'm glad to see that you were able to meet up IRL with some of your old friends!

Anonymous said...

What a great time you had and I just loved the pics. I used to think I was too old to blog...hah! But face may be a step too far for this old dear who spends far too much time peering into other people's lives as it is.

Melissa said...

Good times!!! I love Facebook... I can't even believe how many firends I have come in contact with after all these years!!!
Glad you had a good time.... and I hope your wife is feeling better!!

Anonymous said...

Facebook is swell! It looks like you had an awesome day. How fun to hook up with friends from the past. :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

That looks like such fun. When's the shindig for the new friends? I need LOTS of notice please.

Momisodes said...

What a fabulous reunion! I just loved the little glimpses of your past lives in your writing paired with snapshots from the day. Facebook is pretty cool sometimes ;)

Val said...

Wow I am so impressed that you do facebook and keep up your blog. Unfortunately facebook has taken priority over the blog. It is funny the older I get the more I realize that I actually enjoy reminiscing about highschool. Or the lack of.... he he he either way facebook is cool!

Val said...

Obvious the lack of school is aparent everytime I comment. I am sure I spelled reminiscing wrong. But I am too lazy to utilize spell check.

Carebear said...

What a fun day! I love the riddle where you added up all the things you have in common. Or don't. And LOL at the macro setting shot of your nose! You're such a clown. What a blessing to have reconnected with all these folks who knew you back when! BTW, thanks for your comment on my Dora Rant last week! Come by this week and enter my awesome “Support Our Troops Giveaway”!

Aaron said...

Pam - I did plenty of immature things, but I wait until Chris is pointing the camera the other way.

It was a fun day. We should do it again.

Thanks for removing the black hair off my nose...

sunshinesls said...

Oh Chris...I'm in tears with happiness for you! I feel like I was there thru you great writing! You deserved a great day....God bless friends!!

Jaime said...

What a great day! Gotta love facebook!

Deece said...

Hi I'm a new reader here. This post is great! So glad you had a nice reunion. Until you mentioned the kite, I thought you were on a pier at the water! ha ha! I guess when you live on an island, water is always in the back of your mind.

Although I do live mere miles from most people I grew up with, I mainly just communicate with them through FB. Maybe one day I'll venture out of my little home-work-home bubble.

Lindsay said...

Man - I used to completely neglect facebook, but now even my (60 year old) FIL is on it - and it has yet again become a little obsession of mine. A GREAT way to keep out-of-towners in touch with what's going on....esp right now with the flood! No need to call 20 people - just put in on FB. Genius. I LOVE that you got together with old friends, that's awesome.

Straight to Your Hart said...

So happy the "big" hair trend has yet to return..just sayin!! :)

Memories keep us young..crap now I feel old...

What a great day and love the pictures!!