Wednesday, April 29, 2009

365: Week 17

Day 113

April 23: Good.

Bill Cosby has a bit where he talks about how we -- human beings -- are not very humble. I'm paraphrasing: We build a building, and proclaim it great. We build a massive bridge and call it magnificent. We take a picture of a beautiful scene, and call it breath taking. 

God creates the entire Earth, and calls it...good. 

Sunrises are good. 


Day 114

April 24: Have I mentioned that we're going to Disneyland next week, and that I can't seem to concentrate on anything else? 

A few more days and we set course.

Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning...


Day 115

April 25: Home repairs scare me to death. 

This shot represents the biggest, most successful home repair I've ever made (You'll be less impressed when I tell you the rest of the story).

When we bought our home, last July, the home inspector suggested we have the previous owners replace the kitchen faucet. And they did.

With a seventeen dollar faucet, which lasted about as long as you would expect a seventeen dollar faucet to last. It's been leaking for months -- until Saturday, when I -- ME! -- replaced it. 

By myself.

And it works.

And it doesn't leak (yet).

No one is more amazed than I am. Please try to contain your enthusiasm. 

Now I just stand at the sink, turning it on and off, and think about the clog in the dishwasher...


Day 116

April 26: Emma was watching me wander all over the back yard, searching for something to take a picture of -- it turns out the best shot that day, was up on the deck. 


Day 117

April 27: Here's the second in a series:

"Shots taken, seconds before something landed on me." 

You may recall from last week, the shot of Emma hanging from the monkey bars...this time I figured I could shoot the basketball, then shoot the picture and then get out of the way.

(I know, I know, it seems a little optimistic in retrospect).

As it turns out, your (my) depth perception is screwy while looking through a view finder, and I took one in the face. 

I also thought "At least no one saw that..."

I was wrong a LOT that day. 

(No cameras were harmed in the making of this picture.)


Day 118

April 28: Jordan's first piano recital. 

Jordan has been taking piano lessons for about six months now, and like every other kid who takes piano lessons, she doesn't like to practice. But tonight we got a real glimpse of what she is capable of. 

While not bothering to hide my bias, I have always believed that Jordan could be a terrific piano player -- she has both the artistic inclination, and the love of learning. How do you keep them focused until they learn to get past the drudgery?

I think the applause at the recital helps...


Day 119

April 29: Self portrait. 

I chew a LOT of gum.

I also blow a LOT of bubbles. 

And I don't even chew bubble gum!

How do you like me now?

Actually, I was trying to blow it big enough to block out my gigantic forehead. 

See you next week!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Fantastic shots. Just when I am feeling in a rut I see your weekly pictures and they inspire me!

The sunset shot is spectacular.
Say Hi to Tinkerbell for me!
Basketball to the face....I say it was worth it!
Love the little hands on the piano.
I don't think I have blown a bubble that size since I was a teenager! Way to go!

Mom24 said...

I think these were my favorite shots yet. Good job.

The basketball made me laugh. I can't wait to see the third in the series. ;-)

I completely relate to the home repairs. My husband doing home repairs scares ME to death.

Have a wonderful time at Disney. I'm very jealous. It truly is a bit of magic on earth.

kayerj said...

your week in pictures--good, very very good. I hope when the gum flew out of your mouth from too much air pressure you didn't step on it ;)

sunshinesls said...

Awesome, Awesome shots...I'm going to have to step up my game! I'll not even try to write as well as you though!

Enjoyed it much as always! I got mine posted per your request!!

Val said...

I am not sure if I am more impressed with the bubble blowing ability or the fact you accomplished such an important home repair. You have had quite a week! But I suppose it was just to work yourself up to next week. Have fun in Disneyland. We look forward to seeing all the pictures!

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

I can see the hand of God in day 113. Absolutely beautiful. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shots-the basketball-the hands on the piano-sunset.

Wendy said...

Back for a visit today and I am so impressed how you are keeping the photos coming after more than 100 days. You are even getting battle scars from the experience..are you sure no one was looking? :) I hope you have an amazing time at Disney, that is still my favorite perfect vacation that we took with our children. I think I enjoyed it more than the kids. There will be no shortage of photo ops there and I can't wait to see Disney through your eyes. My favorite photo is your daughter at the recital. I like that perspective as if I am getting an inside opportunity to listen in. Have fun!!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Love the piano shot of Jordon. Ive always longed to learn the piano, but I never did. So what's the next best thing but to encourage my children do so. lol! Izabel is only 3 but I can't wait much longer, she's going to have to take a lesson or two.

Lovely set for the week. Always inspiring and always beautiful.

Metic: I need one. I'm in a little of a slump.

Corey~living and loving said...

as always....you are awesome. I love the basketball one. I did one with a football not too long ago. :) but...Sugar threw it so I had more time to get the shot and get out of the way.

the piano shot is just plain lovely.

Have a great day!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

I love your weekly photo posts. :) Good job on the home improvement task! I am always proud when I manage to do things like that too. ha!

And I totally LOL at the basketball shot because I imagined it did hit you in the face. heh.