Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Guys that remind my mom of me...

When guys think of themselves, this is what they imagine...



Or this




Or this




I am no different. I want to be cool. I want to be tough. I want to be rugged. I want to be intimidating. 
But my mom has always seen things differently. Here are some of the people who remind my mother of me:

Why do these guys remind my mother of me? Is it my loose feet? Is it the big blue genie that grants my every wish? Is it my unmatched computer skills? Is it my giant round head? Is it my love of Grape Nehi? Is it my ability to wax, both on and off? Is it my flux capacitor?
Of course, it's all of those things. But, it's also more than that. These are nice guys. These are sensitive guys. Any genuinely nice (and most often, dark haired) guy in any movie or television show-- ever -- causes my mom to project me into that character. And then she tells me about it.

I'm not sure why she does this. I would think it would be the know it all, obnoxious characters that would have echoes of me -- I can honestly see that. But moms are different, aren't they? Sometimes my mom reminds me of Don Quixote -- she sees people as they ought to be, or as she wishes they were. I would like to think that I am the person that my mother, my wife and my children, think I am, but it's too hard for me to lie to myself. We all see our own shortcomings and failures.

But, then again, maybe that's why God gave us mothers, and wives, and children -- to remind us of who we should be. 
I heard a phrase once that went something like this -- Always try to be the man that your mother thinks you are.
Not a bad idea, I suppose.
But, could you pretend, once in a while, that I'm tough and sensitive?

8 comments:

Val said...

Ok so No to rough and tough. But I must say I think Charlie Brown is a great depiction of you. he he he

Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

I think it's just me but ... I prefer the men that your mom does too lol. Seriously! Ok, but I also like the other ones teehee. I'm a 24yr old female. I'm allowed ;-)

Pam Emmons said...

um...Aladin? I need to talk to your mom. Chuck, I can see. Even Charlie Brown, but I am struggling with Aladin. Who does Sharon see you as?

Aaron said...

I think your mom has us confused..... except where Charlie Brown is concerned. I thought I spent a lot of time at your house growing up, but I didn't think I spent THAT much time there.

Kat said...

Aww. What an extraordinary post. So sweet and perceptive. I just love it.
Well done, you.

Susan said...

Love that quote!
I think we should all, male or female, aspire to be the person that our moms think we are.

stefanie said...

Great post! We just watched the MASH where Radar takes a correspondence writing course. Classic.

tammi said...

I like that quote about how our moms see us. You're right; what a thing to aspire to!