Monday, October 13, 2008

They came later...

In honor of Columbus Day (which was, technically, yesterday, but you know how important it is to give government employees as many days off as possible) -- this day we set aside to celebrate the day that Christopher Columbus first discovered America, (well, okay, first might be a bit of an exaggeration, there were the Vikings, the Irish and possibly the Chinese before him, but he was easily in the top ten), I present a Columbus Day conversation with Emma:
(How's that for a run on sentence? I told you the comma was a powerful device.)

Today was Emma's first experience with Columbus Day, at school.


 
Dad (to Emma, who is wearing a funny hat): What's that hat?
Emma: I can't remember. Do you want to see the picture that I colored at school today?
Dad: Are those three ships?
Emma: Yep.
Dad: Are they the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria?
Emma (Amazed): It's just like you were in my class!
Dad: These were the ships of Christopher Columbus.
Emma: Oh, yeah (looking at her funny hat) that's who I am. 
Dad: What did you learn about Christopher Columbus today?
Emma: He thought the world was round, not flat and he came to America in three boats, and he met the ......(long pause).......indians.
Dad: Very good.
Emma: I was going to say, he met the idiots.


No, honey, they came later.

7 comments:

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Congrats, I have passed on a bloggy award to you. Check my blog for details!

Val said...

Ok, so this government employee worked today! That's just because it was traded for the day after Thanksgiving. That day is now an official holiday for us. (he he he) I love my job. I am with you I am sure the idiots waited to come til oh let's say the 2000's. OUCH! I am glad to hear there is still a school teaching about Christopher Columbus. Not one thing was mentioned (atleast that my kids could remember anyway) about Christopher Columbus in our schools today. I remember that actually being a very fun part of school. We always made boats out of food. I can just picture Emma's expressions while having that conversation with you. Cute Cute!

Val said...

OH let me change that date they probably came around the 50's they are just in their prime in the 2000's.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Okay, congrats again! I'd love to present you with another bloggy award! Additional details for this award are on my blog too!

imbeingheldhostage said...

and BOY did they come...
What a funny post. It's so cool your family is pitching in to help with your "post a day" challenge.

Kat said...

Hahaha! That is hilarious! How honest a slip of the tongue can be. ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll be back!

Storytellin' Mama said...

What a priceless conversation!!

I think that is the best thing about having kids is to be able to enjoy and sometimes be amazed at their interpretation of the world.

Out of the mouth of babes...