Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cleaning out the attic...


31 Posts in 31 Days: #18

Do you ever get over loaded? Where you just have too much information rattling around in your brain?

One of the problems (as I see it) with the world we live in today, is the sheer volume of information bombarding us at all times -- from television to cell phones to radio to emails to texts to tweets, and on, and on ad nauseum -- we have constant input, and no time to process it.
I get so that I can't think straight, until I release a little of the pressure. So here goes (I'll probably regret this when I can't think of anything to post for the next 12 days)...

The world, as I see it, at 9:25 pm, July 18, 2008:

1. The world lost an amazing man friday night. Walter Cronkite has passed away. Cronkite was one of my heroes. He was the standard by which all television news anchors have been measured, and none since have come close. He was professional and dignified, and he was fair. His time at CBS covered a remarkable series of events. Cronkite broke the news that President Kennedy had been shot. He told us of the deaths of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. It was Walter Cronkite's voice that the world was listening to on July 20, 1969: "Neil Armstrong, 38 year old American, standing on the surface of the moon..." We will not see the like of Walter Cronkite again. The most trusted man in America has left the building.




2. If America ever fails, it won't be the Republicans or the Democrats that take her down, it will be the uncaring and uninformed citizens. This experiment in freedom only succeeds if we work to make it succeed. The People are sovereign -- the power is in your hands. Use it wisely.

3. I think it is unbelievably moronic that Brooke Shields is peddling prescription eyelashes on T.V. With a straight face, and a deeply troubled voice. PRESCRIPTION. EYELASHES!




4. I watch way too much Diners, Drive Ins and Dives on the Food Network. But Guy Fieri is so cool! And I want his '68 Camaro.




5. My guitar won't stay in tune -- I think it's time to change out the strings.




6. I took one of my cameras in to get repaired. They told me it would be 2 to 3 weeks -- it's been almost eight. Every time I call they tell me that they're working on it as we speak. I'm starting to wonder...

7. I'm going to change out every picture in every frame in my house.

8. Sonja Sotomayor is going to be confirmed as a Supreme Court justice. She believes it is a judge's prerogative and responsibility to dictate policy. She and I disagree.




9. The Governor of South Carolina needs to be horse whipped, and thrown out of office.




10. Sarah Palin's political career is over. Why would we elect her to higher office, if she can't handle the stress and scrutiny of the Governorship of Alaska?




11. I have a fiddle. I wish I knew how to play it.




12. I get a kick out of Facebook, I've reconnected with so many people I thought I might never see again, and with so many new friends too. I have yet to tweet.

13. The 40th anniversary of the first moon landing is on Monday. I need to start thinking about what I want to say about it.




14. I started reading the Rex Morgan MD comic strip, because I think his wife is HOT! I also think Betty and Veronica are hot, but that's not the reason that I read Archie Comics. Well, not the only reason.





15. I've been at a job I hate for ten years. People keep telling me to find a way to get paid to do the things I love. I don't know how.

16. Oh, and my best friend Aaron is selling puppies. They're chiweenies (half dachshund, half chihuahua -- personally, I'd call them weeniehuahuas. But that's just me.) They're very adorable, especially if you're into large rodents. :P

Check them out here so Aaron will stop hounding get me to take one -- no pun intended.
PLEASE!


AHHHHHHHHHHH.

I feel much better now.


In honor of Walter Cronkite: And that's the way it is...

8 comments:

Greybeard said...

Wow.
I hate to burst your bubble!
(Actually I don't, because like you, I thought he was a different man than he really is.)
I got here via Rita's blog, "An Ordinary Life".

Terri said...

I was going to toddle off to bed and not comment tonight until I got to #16 -- LISTEN TO AARON!!! We now have a ten week old Doxiehuahua (my preferred name) living with us and she is the BEST puppy ever. Smart! Funny! Cute! Cuddly! OK, I suppose it depends on what you want in a dog, but this one is amazing. Really.

I also have a fiddle I wish I could play, and my guitar does the same thing when it wants new strings - sort of like pouting.

There are photos on my blog of Liza the Amazing, if you're wondering.

kayerj said...

I feel the same way about Walter Cronkite,Guy Fieri, his camaro and the archie comics. What a great post :) Looking forward to the moonwalk----

Anonymous said...

I've always been a Walter Cronkite fan myself. It was a huge shock when they announced it. Every time I see the commercial with Brooke I get upset. I think that is the dumbest thing ever to sell or refer people to buy.

Guy Fieri!! I scream every time I see him!! He inspires me to up my game in the kitchen all the time.

I make a mean shrimp taco. :)

Corey~living and loving said...

what a post...so much to soak in...but now I'm just wondering if Diners, Drive-ins, and dives is on right now....love that show. :) I get pissy when I realize we don't have ONE place in my town that would be worthy of that show. sigh...

Mom24 said...

What a great post. You did give a lot of information in it though, there's still a lot of July left, pace yourself. lol.

I do think Walter Cronkite was a great man. Nice tribute.

My hubby completely wants Guy's job. Wouldn't that be awesome? I sympathize with you for not liking your job. Sometimes I want to scream when I hear people give the advice to 'just figure out what you love to do and then get paid for it'. I think very few people are that lucky. I hope that someday you are one of them.

I completely agree with your assessment of the SC governor, Sarah Palin too. Quitting is quitting, no matter how you try to couch it.

The puppies are really cute. Ohio's a little too far from Utah, but there are really cute.

Aaron said...

I'll agree that Cronkite was an Icon, but I don't hold your hazy view of how wonderful he was.

I have a similar view of JFK...not as rosy and wonderful as everyone says.

As for the rest of the blog....

Republicans and Democrats (of course I am speaking generally) are the very problem. They no longer are interested in their agenda as much as they are interested in bagging the other guy. You are right, the answer is in the voters, but they will never get it.

Brooke Shields....What the?......

Never seen the show, but the dude's car looks like the Cougar don't you think?

Time for new strings....

Camera repairs are never on schedule.

You go with the pictures....you should be done around Christmas you have so many....

Sotomayor is a joke...a really cruel joke that isn't the least bit funny. She is a bigot and biased if I have ever seen one. It is interesting that many (if not most) of her controversial rulings have been overturned as unconstitutional by the very court to which she is being appointed....interesting.....

Governor and Palin....no comment.

Fiddle....when would you find the time?

Facebook....no more.

Moon landing...it was staged...(I'm joking.....really, I am joking)

Rex Morgan MD and the Jughead girls....really Chris?

Get a new job...I've been telling you that for 9 1/2 years.

Thanks for the shout-out on the puppies....I sold them all in less than 24 hours for asking price. I love KSL Classifieds.


Whew....got tired just thinking about this reply, let alone writing it.

Victoria Martinez said...

These are some of the very effective tips given for a better HVAC system. And the maintenance guide is distinguish and useful. Heating and Cooling Kitchener