Sunday, July 12, 2009

One Year



31 Posts in 31 Days: #12


It was one year ago today, that we moved into our very first home.




We came into home ownership later than most of our friends. Last summer, we had been married almost fourteen years.

That wasn't the plan.

When I asked Sharon to marry me, I had every intention of providing for her properly -- including getting her into a home of her own, in short order. But, life gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it?

So we rented for fourteen years. But, last year, Sharon had finally had enough, and got the wheels rolling on the mortgage process.

AND WHAT AN IDIOTIC PROCESS THAT IS!!!!

But, I digress.

What's important is we survived, and on June 12, 2008 we moved into our very own home.

It's not big, but it's everything we wanted. It's funny how that happened. One of the reasons we procrastinated buying for so long was, we had fallen in love with the area in which we were renting, but didn't think we could afford to buy there.

But, then the housing market fell apart, and one house -- only one, in the entire town -- came available, that was remotely within our price range. We bid on the first and only home we looked at.

It sure seemed like destiny.




We're so thankful for our little home, and for a year's worth of memories under its roof, and we look forward to many, many more.

9 comments:

Pam Emmons said...

Glad I was there when you moved in, and to help mark the anniversary.

Dan said...

Congrats! I am glad you are in our neighborhood. You can't beat it!

Kat said...

Timing is everything. And if it is meant to be, it will be. And clearly it was meant to be for you.
Congratulations! :)

Mom24 said...

Congrats! We have a bi-level in our perfect neighborhood too. It's the perfect floor plan. Enjoy that home.

Lori said...

We miss you in our area but are glad you have your home.

I can't believe it has been a year! Crazy!

Michelle said...

Happy house anniversary! No matter the size of the home it is the people inside it that make it a true home. :)

Kristen said...

We're happy for you guys but sad that you moved out of the ward.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I know when we bought our house it was great and I loved it. But sometimes I still miss our little apartment and how cozy it was. I wouldn't trade it for the world, though. Well...maybe a mansion...um...but I digress.

Congrats on your anniversary. Must go. My toddler needs some cuddle time! Whoo-hoo! I'm enjoying that while it lasts.

Suzanne said...

We are glad you came to "our neck of the woods," too! :)

Kyle loves having Matthew close enough to play. We love having Sharon serve in our Primary. And I appreciated Jordon taking on the job to look after the little ones on the big, blowup slide at the 4th of July block party!
Also, as a side note...I knew the previous owners of your house had their own personal set of circumstances they were going through and really NEEDED someone to buy their house! They had been PRAYING & waiting & hoping & cleaning & stressing & PRAYING & begging for someone to buy it -- and then along came the Thornblad's...you were definitely the answer to their prayers!! :)